Header

17.4.14

“I Conceived In London And Delivered In America” IYA-N-GHANA Bluffs



To those in the know among the Islamic gospel music buffs, the name Basirat Ogunremi aka Iya-n-ghana is an item to them. Her 22 years in the industry began to yield positive result 10 years ago. The producer of ‘Titilope’ album is a proud mother and a consummate wife every man can pray for. According to her, her husband, Idowu Olomitutu has remained her spinal cord and the secret behind her high-flying profile. Recently, she delivered a bouncing baby boy in Obama ruling country, United States Of America. In this interview with Rahman Is’mail, many of her secrets are unveiled for your delight. Savour it…
                   
Immediately after you gave birth, a rumour was flying around that your hubby has banned you from singing, what is your comment?
The story has no basis; my husband has never told me to quit music.
Who fabricated the story?
You journalists should be in the right position to answer that.
But there can never be smoke without fire
That is why I said, as a journalist, you are in the best position to know because there is no issue that can lead to such directive from my hubby. He loves me so dearly and he has never ceased to support my career. In fact, he is my proud and able backbone.
Should we assume then that probably the story was cooked up by your critics?
Well, I wouldn’t know because I have never seen myself as somebody that has enemy; reason is that, I don’t have grouse against anybody and I believe everybody is my friend. Since we have no grudge against one another, why would you cook a fallacious story against me.
Weeks to your delivery, you flew to USA, was it your plan to give birth to the baby in USA or it was coincidence?
My baby, Faridollahi, is destined to be an international child. Why I said this is that, he was made in London; I mean I conceived the pregnancy last summer when my husband and I travelled to London and now decided to welcome him to the world in United States of America, (USA). However, for these two reasons, I call him international child.
How do you feel on the accomplished mission?
I feel so happy and fulfilled. You know for the first time, I experienced child labour in USA. If you gave birth in USA once, you will love to always give birth there whenever you are on nine months course because the way their midwives take care of a woman who is labouring is encouraging. They have all the necessary equipment that will make the whole situation easy for you. In America, there can never be stillbirth; because the child will never go through hell during labour.  
How was the turn-out of your fans over there, was it up to expectation?
In fact, it was beyond. When I went to perform in Ross Island, my fans there made a very surprise baby shower party for me, I was also treated same way in Washington and Maryland. They were all happy for seeing me because they have been yearning for my visit to USA and they were joyous throughout my period of stay.
How old is Iya-n-ghana in music?
I am 22 year-old, precisely I started in 1992.
How many albums have you produced since then?
I have recorded 10 albums.
Which of those albums shot you into the limelight?
The album that made my popular household name (Iya-n-ghana) was  TITILOPE MI. It was released in 2004 while ISEJU KAN shot me into the limelight.
Had there been any challenge that  made you think of quitting this profession?
There have been a lot of challenges but the ability to face them and bring them to control has always made me forge ahead. Therefore, there is no challenge that will lead me to think of relinquishing my musical career.
How do you view the issue of collaboration among Muslim artistes, is the concept helpful to the industry or deteriorating it?
I have done collaborations with a couple of artistes such as Alhaji Quamorudeen Ayeloyun whom I love working with because he’s a very wonderful singer and also a good brother to me. I have also worked with the likes of Ere Asalatu crooner, Arewa and others. The question is ‘what is the concept of the ‘colabo’ we are talking about?’ What is the message all about and in real life, who is the artiste to tell the story?’ Collaboration has been helpful to some artistes but as for me, everybody knows that I am not the product of collaboration; my solo song made me popular and I am thanking God for this because I did not rise through any established artiste.
If Iya-n-ghana was not into music, what would you have been doing? 
Ha! That question is too expensive for me because I don’t think I can find joy in any other profession apart from this Zikri (praising of Allah) I am doing. But if I was not singing Islamic songs, I would be presenting Islamic programme on air or be a spiritual consultant. In essence, I would engage in anything that has to do with God and Islamic religion because that is the area of my knowledge.
What is the relationship between Muslim and Christian gospel artistes?
We have a very cordial relationship; for instance, I and the likes of Tope Alabi, Omije Ojumi crooner boarded same aircraft from America to Nigeria. Aside the two artistes, I also have a very good rapport with Lanre Teriba aka Atorise and so on. We never see ourselves as rivals in the industry.
Since you maintain a good rapport, why  don’t you do a ‘collabo’ to preach a peaceful coexistence?
Well, it is a good concept but the fact is that, if it is not the time for Zur Solat, no man will call for it. Everything in life happens in due course.
Undoubtedly, Iya-n-ghana is one of the sought-after Islamic gospel artistes we are proud of, what is the secret of your success?
Alhamdulillah! God is behind every step of my life. My life antecedents have been so wonderful and it is worthy to appreciate God because He has been mysteriously working in my life. I sang it in one of my popular songs thus, “eniyan ko, Olorun ni, eniyan ko o, Olorun ni o, Olorun mi lo gbe mi ga, omo eniyan ko rara”. It means “God is my elevator not man”.
You are a star singer and mother, how are you combining?
One has never affected the other. This is the logic, when Basirat is before the camera, I will wear the crown of the Iya-n-ghana title but once I find myself off the camera, I will swiftly switch to Alhaja Basirat, the wife of Idowu Olomi tutu. That is, I know when to draw line between home and job.

No comments:

Post a Comment